Becoming a lawyer or an attorney is one of the most highly sought-after professions in the 21st century, perhaps second only to debt settlement or the search for the best wrinkle creams and this highly competitive atmosphere begets extreme competition towards admission programs for law. There are many who want to be a lawyer but fail in the various stages towards earning that coveted law license and conferment of the title of lawyer or attorney.
For those dreaming of becoming an attorney, here are the steps that should be followed in order to be recognized as a licensed practitioner of the field.
1. Official, law school begins when you take the Law Schools Admission Test but preparing for this stage is an equally daunting challenge. Those who have long planned to be a lawyer choose and complete a bachelor’s course that already has a lot of ties to law school. This allows them to transfer the necessary skills directly to becoming an attorney. Some of the skills that fall under this category include courses that require a lot of reading and writing, as well as a analysis and argumentation. Examples include English or Political Science but courses like Accountancy or a master in finance are also suitable because of the specialized skill that is usable for taxation and commercial law.
2. Upon completing your undergraduate, you will need to take the Law Schools Admission Test. Your score in this test typically restricts the universities and colleges where you can enroll; hence, getting a good score is always a great goal at this stage of the process.
3. When admitted, the first half of law school is focused on general law principles. This includes studying about the constitution, contracts, torts, property, family and the likes. Only in later stages does a specialization come into play. When specializing, this is where the advantages of specific schools like criminal justice schools become evident.
4. A vital component of the process to become an attorney is regular exposure to the demands of the profession. Metaphorically speaking, one cannot hope to eliminate the wrinkles without diving into a bottle of the best anti wrinkle creams. For this, many students get part-time or summer internships in schools, or where possible, prestigious law firms. The exposure grows a person’s knowledge in specific areas of law and gives them first-hand information on things that will become useful during specialization courses.
5. Once you graduate, the last step is to take and pass the state bar examinations which is the official licensing exam for being an attorney. Only after passing this exam do you become a licensed attorney.
As a last note on the subject, there are many who later realize their desire to pursue law but they have already chosen other undergraduate courses like perhaps a masters public health. This is, in general terms, okay as long as one is committed to learning the necessary foundational knowledge that will allow them to catch up with the curriculum.
There are plenty of resources on the internet that can be used to find out more about becoming an attorney. With so many click here advertisements, one can always hope to find the right information towards learning the vagaries of the process of becoming an attorney.